This post is going to contain a random assortment of what God has been showing me the past few weeks/this semester so sorry in advanced that it is really long.
I started this semester with mixed feelings about graduating in May. I was excited to be done, but also nervous about entering the ‘real world’. Now the semester is over half way done and I still have the same mixed feelings. I don’t really know what the next year holds and I have had to learn to give it to God because if I try to figure it out on my own it stresses me out. But I know that God has my future already planned and it is better than anything I could have ever planned. One verse that God used a couple of weeks ago to remind me of that fact is Psalm 139:16.
“Your eyes saw my unformed body;
all the days ordained for me were written in your book
before one of them came to be. ” – Ps. 139:16
This semester has been really crazy, but through it all God has shown me new information about who He is and also areas where I need to grow.
- At the beginning I was struggling with the fact that my life was not lining up with how I imagined it would be when I was a lot younger. What this really meant was that I had always thought I would be married shortly after graduation and that is not what is going to happen. I was able to sit down with a good friend at the beginning of the semester though and talk about what I was struggling with and she encouraged me that God has a plan for my life.
- Family has also become really important to me this semester. Early in the semester my cousin died suddenly and unexpectedly and it really just reminded me how short life can be and how important family is. Since then I have tried to not only spend more time with my family, especially my younger siblings, but also have tried to spend quality time with the youngest ones because I don’t know what the future holds.
- This semester I have also continued to be involved in the Abolitionist Society of Oklahoma. Through my involvement God has given me more of a heart for the unborn, but also for the moms who are scared and feel like abortion is the only option. Looking back it has been neat to see how God used volunteering at a pregnancy center the summer after my Freshman year to begin to mold the views I have on abortion now. (I’ll write more about that in another post).
- One exciting thing that is happening in Oklahoma is that there is an organization trying to get an amendment added to the November Ballot that will change the definition of personhood in the constitution to beginning at the moment of conception. If you would like more information on that feel free to ask me or visit Personhood Oklahoma
- I have also been thinking a lot about what true worship looks like now and what it is going to look like in Heaven, but I have already written a post about it that you can read.
- For Spring Break this year I went to San Antonio for a college retreat over the Trinity and it was mind-blowing. I learned so much and I am still trying to process it, but the two biggest things I learned was that 1) God corrected my thought that there was a hierarchy in the Trinity. All three persons of the Trinity are equal, thus the use of the word ‘and’ when they are mentioned. 2) There are references to the Trinity found throughout the Bible (both Old and New Testament), but I had never seen them. The most surprising one mentioned this weekend was Mt. 28:19 – “Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name (singular) of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit(multiple names)”. This picture shows that they are three persons in one.
- This weekend I also attended church at Castle Hill First Baptist in San Antonio and heard a great sermon on Brokenness. But it was during the singing time that God really convicted me that I am spending too much time trying to live up to what others expect of me instead of focusing on who God has made me and living like He is the only one who matters. Looking back this is actually something that God has been trying to show me for weeks, but I’ve just not been paying attention to what He has been saying.
I have also been thinking/praying/researching a lot about what I am going to do for a job in the fall, but that will be a whole other blog post. I know there is probably something I have forgotten, but that is enough for now. I am so thankful that even though I constantly fail Christ He is still faithful to show me areas where I need to change even if at first I don’t notice/want to listen.
I would love to hear what God has been showing you this semester.